“This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.” 1 John 5:2

Sweet Morgan

12.10.2009

Today was the first day I felt alone. I felt like I was on the other side of the world, because for the first time I wanted to be home. I want to be with those I love. I long to be with my Lambuth Family. The Lambuth Family- the Jackson Community- all those who knew and loved Morgan Kelley are deeply hurting.


A dear friend of mine, a fellow Biology student, a senior at Lambuth, a leader to many, a loving daughter, and devoted sister – passed away Monday during an extensive heart surgery to replace her aorta. While we all knew of the seriousness of this surgery, no one dreamed of the outcome. I feel we are all in a state of shock, trying to comprehend the news. For me, I am still struggling to believe its true. It doesn’t feel real.


I wish I could be with you as you hurt- to hug you – and to share with you stories of Morgan. I cannot communicate easily here in Africa, so if you don’t mind I would like to reach out to you in this way. When I think of Morgan, the first image that comes to my mind is of her breaking it down in a Dalmatian costume during all-sing;) She was always hilarious to watch! Another memory would have to involve tromping through Harris Creek in our oversized waders trying to stay dry enough to record some measurement (Morgan and I probably didn’t know what it was we were researchingJ) Every memory of Morgan involves laughter. My times with Morgan were mostly spent in class or lab where she always seemed to make our time more enjoyable. Without her, biology and chemistry would have been such a bore. When I think of her- I smile. She brought so much joy to all those around her- she had a special gift. I think we all at some point wished for her energy and her love for life. Even in the midst of all this sadness, I cling to my awkward, goofy, hilarious moments with Morgan…and in those, I find peace.


I just want to ask for your prayers for her family and friends who feel lost without her. Please pray for comfort, strength and peace during this time of sadness, pain, disbelief and anger as we try to understand how and why this happened. It’s hard to understand how someone so young and so special and so full of life could be taken from this world in a blink. For those of you who are missing Morgan- for those who knew her far better- and loved her better- I am thinking of you and I am praying that God will hold you as you cry and help heal your hearts. Cling to Him for understanding and peace. And continue to tell stories about Morgan – keep her alive and a part of your lives. I can guarantee we each have many memories of laughing with goofy Morgan- so share them. Morgan would want us to continue laughing.


“Praise be the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God…And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.”


2Cor 1:4 & 7

2 comments:

justcallmemary said...

Beth Ann, that was beautiful. Even though I'm not across the world, I feel so alone being in Texas right now and not being able to travel to be there for my friends, my lambuth family. You have put into words the feelings I want to share. Thank you for that post.

I pray for you and those lives you are touching in Africa every day. I miss and love u!

Sam Mauck said...

BA~
Today it the memorial service on campus. I'm sure you know that. I've printed out your post and with your permission, I'd like to put it in the scrapbook we're putting together for her family. We wish you were here with us, too. You will be with us today in our hearts. May God be with you in your ministry. It's a beautiful thing you're doing.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones