“This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.” 1 John 5:2

Food Poisoning + Malaria

12.31.2009

I have not updated as quickly as I wanted to about the holidays, but I unfortunately have been very sick. The day after Christmas most of my team and I got sick from eating something- we aren’t exactly sure what? I usually write detailed stories, but for this I will spare you the details:) On top of food poisoning, I had intense body aches and a fever of 102 that lasted over 12 hours. Luckily we have a nurse on the team, and she tested me for Malaria…It was positive. I have to say that this is the sickest I have EVER been in my life- at times it was scary being so sick and so far from home, good healthcare, and my mommy! But God pulled me through and I am feeling much better! I am slowly getting my energy back and feeling more like myself. I am so thankful for my teammates. Ashley and Courtney were thankfully not sick and took care of our every need! They were beyond wonderful to us. It’s amazing how fast you become like family in such a short amount of time.


After being so ill, it amazes me how these people and young children handle Malaria so often and without medication. Although I was so miserable, I knew I had treatment and I knew with time I could feel better. Many people here don’t know what its like to feel better. I experienced a glimpse of what my children at SMILE battle many times a year. They don’t even understand the concept of not working and not doing while you are sick. Its life- you press on- you have to. I admire their strength and have a new understanding.


I just wanted to explain why I was away, and for those who heard word and prayed, thank you! Family, stop worrying. I am alive.

1 comments:

Sam Mauck said...

BA~
Glad to hear that you're feeling better! I hope Alapen is also doing well. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones