“This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.” 1 John 5:2

Power in Prayer

12.22.2009

I was in the midst of writing about Christmas in Uganda, but I will have to put that off for something that is on my heart to share with you. I will fill you in on the festivities here in the next day or so.


I am asking you to pray for my children here in Tororo, as well as the children of Uganda. Today, my sweet boy Alapen seemed to be feeling just fine. He was playing and eating porridge like normal. After bath time, I saw him fast asleep on the concrete under the pavilion. I could tell he was sleeping hard, and thought to myself how seldom he gets to sleep like that. While I was holding another baby, Alapen came up with tears in his eyes and as soon as I touched his skin I felt the intense heat of a fever. I could tell he felt miserable. I immediately took him to the clinic, and Stephanie checked his temperature at 103. We tested him for Malaria, and it was positive.


Malaria is so common here and very easy to treat. However, many go untreated, stay sick, and some die because they either don’t know they have it or don’t have the money to pay for medicine. In sharing Alapen’s case, I don’t mean to make his sound any more important than the other children. Many children come through the clinic positive for Malaria. Their older siblings handle their medication, and we pray that they take it properly and begin feeling better. It sounds crazy that these young children are responsible for giving their siblings medication, and we all worry whether or not they are receiving it. Oh course we would like to take them all home and nurse them back to health, but we simply can’t.


As for Alapen, he was sitting in my lap scared and so sick. We were trying to get him to take tablets for fever and Malaria, and he was giving us so much trouble. We were attempting to hide the pills in rice (he never passes up the opportunity to eat, none of them do) and he refused. We soon realized why he was refusing when he vomited all over himself and me. I carried him outside to continue vomiting and my heart was breaking as I watched his tiny body lie in the grass so weak and so helpless. In between getting sick he would just cry, and then I began to cry because he was in pain. We were trying to cool his hot body down with water, and then brought him back inside to rest. We finally got him to take the medicine; I think he knew it would make him feel better. I just sat with him as he lay naked on the table, and I wished so badly to take him home with me. I worried that no one would be there to care for him tonight. I did not want him to be sick and all alone. My heart was broken. I felt so helpless. I wish so much that I could fix them all, make them all healthy, bring them all to a cleaner environment. Thankfully by the end of the day, his fever had gone down and he had gotten some rest. Please pray for my Alapen. Please pray that God will protect him through the night and to give his body the strength to fight.


I also have something very heavy on my heart, yet I cannot share all the details with you. We recently discovered a 7 yr. old girl who is being abused by a boy in her village. The situation was hard to hear, and it was even more tragic to hear that there are probably so many more just like her that we don’t know about. I just ask that you pray for this little girl as she struggles to understand what is going on, for the abuser, and all those other families in the midst of physical, verbal, or sexual abuse. I realize this is not an African problem, but a global problem. So I ask you to pray for all those hurting.


I have another request. For my family, I ask for prayer. My Aunt Diane has been battling ovarian cancer for quite some time, and her body is tired of fighting. I ask that you pray for my cousin, Andrew, his wife and daughter as they have limited time with such a wonderful, loving mother, grandmother and friend. My Aunt Diane is only 57 years young, and its difficult to understand why her body is sick and in pain. I ask that you pray for my family during this time- that God will provide comfort and peace for our aching hearts.


I am sorry to put a damper on the Christmas spirit, but I felt like I needed to ask you to join me in prayer. There is power in prayer. I just ask that you simply add my children and my family to your list. God Bless each of you, and I hope that you are enjoying the holidays with your family and friends!

5 comments:

Mary Pitner said...

(I'm copying my FB message to you here since I don't know which you check the most often.)

I had not read your lastest blog posting before my first message. Alapen is growing from your love. Maybe just seeing how your team loves him will encourage his mother to see his value and worth. If not, you can be assured he has already learned of it from you. Your work in Africa may break your heart at times, but it will grow your heart so much more! I believe when you come back home, your heart will spill over to more hurt children you won't even know you are helping. Whatever you chose to do next, all those you come into contact with will benefit from Alapen, from the little abused girl, and from all the others you carry inside your heart. I will pray for the children, for your aunt, for your family, and for you. Again, Merry Christmas.
Love, Mary P.

sexybrother said...

hey peta. Merry Christmas I love you and miss you alot. Wish you were here so u could see charlotte. you are now number one on my hero list. Favre number 2

Anonymous said...

Beth Ann you are experiencing the true meaning of Christmas and that is such a Joy in the midst of all the suffering. We get so wrapped up in buying gifts and trying to please everyone on out list that we sometimes forget the true meaning is far greater than material things. Opening our hearts to help others in need is what is really important. Thank you for your blog it makes me so aware of how blessed we are.

We missed you at the farm yesterday, your not being there was sad. Even though you are many miles away you are close in our minds and hearts. We played that game where you get in a circle and everytime you roll a 6 you have to put on many items before you begin opening the present well your Dad won. He is so competitive and entertaining, as you know.

I hope Alapen is better.

Love You

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth Ann!

I'm love following you from your blog! It's very inspirational what you're doing!

I wanted to write you a message because not only are you helping things change over there but you're helping me realize things I never really paid attention to. As you know it's Christmas Day and like many other people I am celebrating with my family but this year I feel guilty for the gifts I got (my mom and dad went a little overboard for me this year). I just remember everything you are doing and seeing and I just want to give back so much now! You are have effects on many other aspects of lives that you don't even realize!

I also wanted to share a story with you to prove your effects on me. Through the holiday season I work at a local Honeybaked Ham Store and it is ridiculously busy with people buying hams for Christmas Dinner. But the other day I was really taken aback by a woman who came in. We have many different people come in to buy hams, all from different backgrounds, and even some who can't fulfill their wish of getting that special Christmas meal. But this particular woman came in and bought a seven pound ham, not for herself, her family, or as a gift, instead she bought the ham for her dog... strictly her dog! I was so angry! I wanted to scream at her, bless her out, and rip the ham from her hands! I know that your children in Africa would have done anything for that ham and here someone is giving it to a DOG! I just want to thank you for opening my eyes! I tell everyone your story hoping they will realize their blessings! I love you and what you're doing and I wish I could send all of your children a ham for Christmas!

Sorry this message is so long :)
God bless you and all your children!

Love in Our Bond,
Pam Grega

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth Ann,

I know that we have gotten to talk to you by phone and amazingly saw you on the Web cam today but I just wanted you to know how much we missed you this Christmas. I am thankful that you have been able to keep in touch and that your writings have kept us all grounded to the real reason for Christmas and for giving all the love you have unconditionally. I am thankful to all those who helped send you to the children of Smile Africa through their hard work and donations and through their prayers.
I do want you to know that Chelsea and the boys have tried to keep up your traditions during Christmas of using recycled gift wrap and boxes, making things homemade and from the heart and taking many pictures and video(well not has many!)
I will continue to pray for Alapen and all the children of Smile Africa and for you and your team. Thank you for your continued prayers for Dianne, her husband Roland and for Andrew and his family.

I love and Miss you
MOM


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones