“This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.” 1 John 5:2

A source of life

1.10.2010





The Nile River is indescribable. Uncontainable. It’s so magnificent- so powerful. The water rushes and surges with speed and incredible force. It is truly majestic. Its like nothing I’ve ever seen.


I felt so humbled being in the midst of this indescribable creation. I felt so small as we rafted through the crashing waves, yet felt so a part of God’s creation. Central Africa, “The Pearl of Africa” is a biologist’s dream. The land is so lush and fruitful with beautiful plants and hundreds of different birds. We did see a few crocs and a snake but far enough away to just enjoy seeing (at least for me). My rafting experience was enhanced by my surroundings- by nature- by God’s creation. As for rafting it was insane! I had never been before in the States, but I can guarantee these rapids are of a different level. I had a wonderful guide and great team. I don’t know if it was pure luck or mad skill, but we managed to have several close calls but no flips. That was until the very last rapid, the monster. If this tells you anything we had to get out of the raft and walk around the first drop because it’s a class 6 and much too dangerous. Yet we jumped back into the middle of this enormous and explosive surge of water. With fear and excitement we plunged in, and shortly after I looked up to see this massive wave about to crash on top of me. The rest is kind of a blur. I went toppling over bodies and paddles and was tossed through the water for a few long seconds. Then I came up under the boat. Thankfully the boat was flipped upside down where it creates pockets underneath and I was able to come up and take a big deep breath. Staying calm and relaxed I pushed my way out from under the boat and let the water carry me down river. My captain was yelling to swim towards the right to the boat, but it was so difficult going against the current- I kept being pulled left when I needed to go right. In time I made it to the boat safely, but struggled to pull myself in the boat from exhaustion. A teammate pulled me the rest of the way in, and we paddled with all we had to reach the other teammates and eventually the bank. We climbed up this steep hill and looked back on what we had come through- what we had accomplished. I just stood in awe of God’s work.


We are in Jinja for an A.I.M. Conference. It is a vacation or break in a sense. I felt so undeserving especially as a short-termer. Many of the long-term missionaries have been here for a number of years, and I fully understand their need to get away, get rest, and fellowship with other missionaries. Apart of me feels guilty for being at a resort- a piece of paradise on the Nile -but these few days have been refreshing and enlightening hearing from other missionaries and what God is doing through them. It was also a chance to reflect and think about my purpose in Africa now and in the future.


I think my rafting experience is so relevant in what I’m reminded of at Conference. There are times when we plunge right into a situation with fear and excitement, and then you are hit and tossed by defeat and discouragement. You just ride it out and catch a breath under the boat to be able to push through and fight the current pulling you away from your task or goal. At times you are exhausted and you need help to climb back into the boat. You need others’ support. Then you look back and realize you have made progress and moved forward even with the obstacles.


The day after rafting, as if I hadn’t had enough thrills and excitement, I decided it would be a good idea to bungee jump into the Nile. Surprise Mom! Im pretty sure she just fainted reading this. It was absolutely terrifying. Honestly, as I stood on the edge of the platform with only a rope and towel (for cushion) wrapped around my ankles, I thought “Why am I doing this?” The Australian instructor explained, “No worries, bungee is 100% safe.” I laughed in his face…and then almost began to cry. My teammate, Ashley, and I jumped together holding tightly to one another as the instructor pushed us off the 145 ft drop into the Nile below. The feeling of falling was horrifying. Falling head first with no feeling of anything catching you is like when you lose your stomach times 1,000. But before I knew it the bungee cord caught me, bounced me around and then eventually lowered me to safety.


This too reminded me that we all fall, we all stumble, and we all feel defeated and discouraged at times. Sometimes taking a risk and jumping out on faith can be horrifying and dangerous. You can be certain (more certain than the bungee cord) that God will catch you and lower you to safety.


Being here in Uganda, I have found myself feeling discouraged and overwhelmed at times. I think it is only normal as I look around at all the need and think of all I wish I could do. Being at this conference, I have been reminded that God is already at work here in Africa. He always has been. We are only joining Him in his work. Surrounded by missionaries who have devoted their lives to these people and this culture, has shown me that they too get burned out and feel like giving up. With God they push through, and its important to sometimes take a breath or two, rest, or accept help from someone. We need each other. Whether we are in Uganda, Africa or Nashville, Tennessee we are like a raindrop in the water creating ripples. The ripples get smaller the farther from the center, so it’s important that we all do our part so that our ripples may overlap and continue to spread. God used average, messed up Peter to create ripples in the water- in His kingdom. The name Peter actually means little stone, and I find it interesting that God used this little pebble to build His church. “Now I tell you that you are Peter, and on this ROCK I will build my church.” (Matt 16:17) God used a little stone to create ripples in the water, and He wants to use us too. When we all contribute, all the raindrops and all the ripples can create a stream—a river—a lake—a source of life and transformation to the land.

5 comments:

handsomebrother said...

peta no bungee

Anonymous said...

We'll pick Becky up. All I can say is wow.

Unknown said...

Hey you!!! A big WOW from me too!

Anonymous said...

BethAnn:
I love reading your blogs and things you are doing. God has truly blessed you and I knew that your pray to help would be answered. I do miss you and pray for your safe return home. God bless you and all that are there with you.

With love,
Mrs. Tracy

Lisa Elder said...

I'm so excited I can read your posts now! I can't believe your boat only flipped once! Ours flipped 3 times and I could not stay in the boat! I fell out like 4 other times! ha.

I'm so happy you are still in Uganda! I miss it so much and wish we could have met up, but I can't wait to see you and talk with you about it! It really shows how much of God you are seeing in your experience. I keep thinking about you and I'll continue to pray for you!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones