“This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.” 1 John 5:2

Word from Uganda!

3.18.2010


“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." --Romans 15:13

I have heard word! I have actually heard word from the mouths of my sweet children in Tororo! I am in amazement that I was able to communicate with them directly... and hear the sound of their precious voices. I am usually one to dis technology and how our advancements have made us impersonal and lazy; however, today I am rejoicing and thanking God for fast and convenient ways of communicating around the globe.


On our last day at Smile Africa, Kasifa (a 13 year old girl, cousin to Juma) gave a team member a cell phone number to reach. We weren’t sure whose it was or if it would even work, but after a few weeks of being home we decided to try calling. We used skype to call Uganda, as it's cheaper and seems to make clearer connections. When I called, an unfamiliar man’s voice answered, and I repeatedly tried to tell him I was looking for Kasifa, or Jowelia or Juma? Finally the children around caught on and came running… they were screaming and shouting and fighting over the phone. I could hear the excitement in their voices! After settling down I was able to talk to them each, though Juma hogged the phone most of the time. Juma was able to update me on Smile Africa and told me he was learning at school. He kept telling me, “I miss you so much! When are you coming back?” I can’t explain to you how much joy I felt in hearing their voices. I was overflowing with love because I could hear how happy and joyful they were. In that moment, God gave me peace and understanding. He was taking care of them all this time, and there was no need to worry. He will continue to fill their hearts with joy and hope.


In communicating with Juma, he informed me that Alapen was sick again. He wasn’t able to give me more details, but he described Alapen as withdrawn and not socializing with the other children. My heart aches in missing this sweet little boy, and many days I want to fly over, pick him up and bring him back home with me. Right now, I can’t do that, so instead I must trust that His Father is watching over him.


I was also informed from other missionaries that Nika (the malnourished baby girl who was adopted to live at Awenjo House) was also sick for awhile. I am uncertain of her progress? Unfortunately, the Ugandan parents taking care of the 20+ children were found beating them and were asked to leave. Awenjo House is supposed to be a safe, loving home for these children, so please pray that God sends devoted, compassionate servants to care for these children.


I’m not sure if I have shared any stories about Moses before, but I will try to give you a little background. Moses has been at Smile Africa for several years, and at first glance you think he is around age 1 or not quite 2. Moses is malnourished and unable to walk or even talk. His tiny limbs cannot support the weight of his bloated belly. He has a full mouth of teeth and a mature face, but no words form from his lips. In actuality, Moses is 4 years old. In our time at Smile, we did see improvement in Moses after putting him on a special formula and giving him extra attention. But Moses still has a long way to go. It is even thought by the staff at Smile that Moses has TB- of the bone? Most days Moses was brought to Smile by a sibling, but other days when he didn’t show we would go retrieve him to bring him to Smile to be cared for. There was talk of Moses’ mother struggling with alcohol abuse and neglecting her children, so in many ways Moses was lacking parental care. Yet I received word a few days ago that Moses’ mom has passed away, leaving him a true orphan. I am sad to know these children have lost their mother and now must fend for themselves in unimaginable conditions. I am hopeful that Pastor Ruth is finding care for Moses and has plans to house some of these orphans at Smile.


For some positive news: Chulu (malnourished baby girl sent to treatment in hospital) is continuing to make progress! She is a healthy little girl—she is busy walking and talking, playing and laughing. At one point during our trip we weren’t sure if Chulu was going to live, and now she is dancing her way through life:)


Luke is a child that was born with both male and female reproductive parts. In Africa, many of these children never get a chance- are rejected- and never understand what gender they are. However, Smile Africa was able to pay for Luke to have surgery this past week, and Pastor Ruth reported that everything went well and he is healing quickly! Pastor Ruth was excited to put him in boy’s clothes and give him a sense of identity. Please pray for Luke as he recovers and deals with the changes.



Lastly, during our stay in Tororo the team was extremely frugal. At the end of our trip we were able to give away what was left of our money. It was wonderful to be able to spend time with these people and this ministry, and then give based on the needs we saw. It was also comforting to know that our money was being left in good hands with people we trusted- people honestly serving God and His children. We were able to donate over $2,000 to Smile Africa! Pastor Ruth has informed me that the donation will be put towards building a room for the babies to stay in and to pay for a widow or young woman to care for them. We were also able to pay for our two Ugandan friends’ (Winnie 20 and Penina 17) Higher Education for the entire year. These young women could not afford school for the upcoming year and unable to finish their education... without an education these girls are limited and forced to live a life in the village with little say of their future. So thank you supporters for your contributions! Your donations reached far and wide and touched the lives of many in Tororo.


Oh and one more thing! My teammates and I left most of our belongings at Smile to be donated to the girls and women in need. Pastor Ruth sent me pictures today of many modeling their “new” clothes!!! They look as if they feel beautiful in something new and clean…


You turned my wailing into dancing;

you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.

O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.

~Psalm 30:11-12~

0 comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones